The future is yours. The UK is facing a critical skills shortage in all STEM industry areas. It has fallen behind in developing its young people to meet the demands of a competitive global economy. STEM Academy Tech City seeks to plug that gap, giving you the technical knowledge and rigorous education you need to become a valued future member of the UK workforce.
Did you know that, on average, graduates earn £160,000 more than non-graduates in their working lifetime? The figure is even more significant for STEM graduates, who tend to earn nearly £250,000 more (Engineering UK report, 2011).
- Nine out of ten new businesses need STEM-skilled graduates
- 72% of all UK businesses rely on people with STEM skills
- In the next five years the UK will need 2m extra people working in STEM areas.
Source: Confederation of British Industry.
The variety of opportunities available to STEM students is almost limitless. You could end up in fieldwork or in manufacturing plants; offices or laboratories; schools or hospitals. Deep in the oceans or in outer space.
New and evolving fields of work include:
- Video game design
- Sports equipment design
- Developing technologies to reduce carbon emissions
- Research into high-yielding plant varieties
- New mobile phone, satellite and GPS (global positioning systems) technologies.